Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Sweet Potato Pancakes

Pancakes.  Oh God, pancakes.  Sweet, moist, excellent and delicious, they are the deliverers of all things wonderful - syrup, peanut butter and blueberries are just three of my favorites.  So you can imagine my sadness when I realized that I couldn't have pancakes, as I know them.  Pancakes!!!!

But wait!  There are options!!!  When the hubby and I were in San Francisco for our honeymoon, we went to this restaurant that was so amazing that if you don't go there immediately the next time you are in SF, I will call you a fool and laugh in your face.  The only trick?  You have to get there at the butt crack of dawn in order to get in to the place.  But oh, it's worth it.  Oh and don't be too put off by the ... unsavory neighborhood.

Dottie's True Blue Cafe

But let me tell you about the pecan pancakes.  Holy delicious.   I loved them.  And that memory makes me realize there is hope for me!  (Hey don't miss out on the whiskey-fennel sausage either...hmmmm...)

So now, why did I go off on this tangent?  Not to say that I made pecan pancakes.  Oh no.  That will be next weekend.   But to say that, because there are choices, I decided to try sweet potato pancakes with pure maple syrup!

I picked up the recipe for the pancakes from here: Sweet Potato Pancakes with Maple Pecan Coconut Butter

But I have to say "no" to coconut butter... and also the extra effort.  So, with true Melissa fashion, I changed the recipe a bit.  And I have to say that they don't have the texture or taste of pancakes, of course.  But dangitall!  They are delicious!!!

Sweet Potato Pancakes

Ingredients

3 large eggs
1 large sweet potato
1/2 cup almond butter
1/2 cup skim milk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

olive oil

Directions

  1. Microwave the sweet potato until it is fork tender (it took me 5 minutes). Then cool, peel and chop into pieces
  2. In a blender add the sweet potato, almond butter, milk, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon nutmeg, and sea salt and mix well.
  3. You want to have a pancake consistency. If it is too thin then add a little more milk.
  4. Heat your griddle over medium heat (250 degrees is what I picked the second time I made them and I liked it better.  Took longer but easier to control).
  5. Add olive oil to the skillet and pour in the batter, in whatever shape or size you’d like.
  6. When the pancake begins to have surface bubbles near the center flip and cook other side (each side 2-3 minutes).  (I didn't have any bubbles...I just waited until they were browning on the bottom.  They're also very fragile, so be careful.)
  7. Add more oil to cook surface as needed between batches.
  8. Let your pancakes rest in the oven on “warm” on a paper towel lined plate until all batches are complete. (Or just in the microwave with no heat which is fine.  They stay warm.)
 Served with Pure Maple Syrup and Strawberries.  Oh ya...  I ate four.



No comments:

Post a Comment