Sunday, March 25, 2012

More recipes! Lime Cilantro Pork Tacos, Turkey Thai Basil & Blue Cheese Steak

Last weekend we (fine me...I admit...lol I'm a kitchen hog) made some amazing recipes. Two that I got from the internet were:

Lime Cilantro Pork Tacos

Oh my....so good.  There were absolutely NO modifications to this recipe and they were not needed.  Ummm, did I get a picture? No way!!!  I ate it way too fast.  Just trust me when I say it looked as good as it tasted.  A bit messy....but no worries.  I licked it up fast.  Would be great on tortillas too, but was wonderful on the butter lettuce.

I'll paste the recipe here but full credit goes to the link above.

Lime Cilantro Pork Tacos

Ingredients

    2 tsp coconut oil
    1 lb pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1/4" - 1/2" strips
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    1 red onion, diced
    1 small jalapeno, minced
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    2 medium tomatoes, diced
    3 Tbs lime juice
    3 Tbs cilantro, chopped
    8 butter lettuce leaves (about 1 large head)
    2 avocados, sliced

Instructions
  1. Wash and chop onion, jalapeno, cilantro and tomatoes.
  2. Season both sides of pork with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
  3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  When hot, add coconut oil to pan.
  4. Sauté pork  until lightly browned, about 4 minutes.  Remove pork from pan and place in a bowl.
  5. Add onion and jalapeno to hot pan, and sauté until tender.
  6. Add broth and tomatoes, and reduce heat to low. Simmer two more minutes, scraping pan sides and bottom to loosen any browned bits.
  7. Return pork and juices to pan.  Stir in lime juice and simmer until pork is fully cooked.
  8. Top with fresh cilantro and avocado, and wrap with butter lettuce leaves to serve.



Turkey Thai Basil

I did get a picture of this!!!   I was patient enough to wait 30 seconds before digging in.

I chose to do the wheat free tamari & honey choices in the recipe.  Also, with the baby bok choy, I love the baby bok choy juniors which are itty bitty and cute.  So I just threw a big handful in.  And the turkey was just some raw turkey that I cooked up fresh for this.  Oh so very good.  I did serve it on a little white rice. 

And again, a little copy/paste of the recipe.   You can get wheat free tamari at an Oriental Market.  They sell it near the wheat-full tamari & soy sauce.  (The tamari is a soy sauce that isn't part wheat.)

Turkey Thai Basil

Ingredients

2 lbs. leftover cooked turkey, cubed or shredded (chicken, beef or shrimp would work too)
3 Tbsp fish sauce
3 Tbsp coconut aminos (or wheat free tamari)
1 Tbsp water
1/2 Tbsp unrefined granulated sugar or honey (optional)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground white pepper
2 Tbsp lard
4  baby bok choy, leaves pulled apart, hearts halved
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
1 large onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 C lightly pack Thai basil leaves

Instructions
  1. In a medium bowl, combine turkey with fish sauce, coconut aminos, water, sugar, salt and pepper; stir until turkey is thoroughly coated and set aside
  2. Melt lard in large wok or frying pan over medium-high heat
  3. Add bok choy, peppers, onion and garlic and saute until softened, about 8 minutes, stirring frequently
  4. Add contents of set-aside bowl (with the meat) to pan and stir for about 3 minutes until turkey is fully incorporated and heated through
  5. Remove from heat and add Thai basil, stirring until basil wilts





Blue Cheese Steak

Then one I made because it's something I adore is New York Strip Steak with melted blue cheese and sauteed onions & mushrooms (in red wine) on top. Of course, no picture.  Why would I wait for a picture?  Come on!!!!

I don't have any propane but it's really easy to cook a steak on the stove in a cast iron skillet.  If it's a thick steak, you can sear it on the stove and then finish it off in the oven.  But the steaks I picked up were about 3/4 inch thick so they were cooked only on the stove for about 4 minutes and they were perfect.

Let's see.... 

Leave the steaks out on the counter for about 45 minutes.  Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high.  Season both sides of the steak with fresh ground pepper and sea salt.  Add to the hot pan and sear both sides for about 1 minute each.  Let cook on medium heat for another minute on each side.  Remove from heat and they should be medium rare.  You can also cover them during that two minutes if you like them a little more done.

Then I just sauté some mushrooms and onions in red wine & garlic until soft.  Melt some blue cheese on top of the steaks, top with the mushrooms & onions.  OMGG!!!  EXTERMINATE!  DEVOUR!!!!!!  Oh ya, I think I made some cauliflower rice on the side.  lol

No comments:

Post a Comment